I did this for 2021 and 2022, with the questions coming from YouTube Society (the link is now defunct so I'm not including it). I plan on doing one of these every year, and now it's 2023's turn! You can use these questions to reflect on your own year as well, or use as a conversation piece. They're a lot of fun to answer!
I also want to note that I'm writing this before December is over, and there may be some surprises in store for me still...but I didn't want to wait forever to write this up. Hopefully I have some bright spots before the year is over.
1. Three words to describe 2023.
Anxiety, Impatience, Doubt.
2. What was the most memorable moment for you of 2023?
I literally just got some good news on the publishing front for Son of the Siren but I've got to keep mum about it. Consider this the equivalent of a "vague publishing tweet."
3. What was your most played song of 2023?
I didn't really listen to music this year! I sort of...forgot about it.
4. Did you take any trips in 2023? Tell us about the most memorable ones and why!
Two trips to Maryland to see my lovely sister and then two trips to Columbus for two different conventions. It's always great visiting family and then I absolutely love getting to meet voice actors at anime conventions. My best memory with my sister was Thanksgiving--she cooked for us and we were all just mellow and relaxed. As far as conventions go, I was so excited to meet Austin Tindle, who voices Kaneki Ken in Tokyo Ghoul, one of my favorite series ever, and then Jason Liebrecht, who is one of my top voice actors of all time. My favorite role of his is Hei in Darker Than Black.
5. Something you’re looking forward to this coming year?
I look forward to reading more BL and writing more for Comics Beat and seeing what happens with Son of the Siren.
6. What was your favorite meme of 2023?
This is exactly how I feel about my Name and the Key trilogy. Book One, ok, Book Two, somewhat, Book Three...crickets.
7. What was the hardest thing you went through in 2023?
Health issues and being on sub.
8. Who/What are you most thankful for throughout the last year?
I am thankful I have such awesome family and friends.
9. What was the funniest thing that happened in 2023?
I can't really think of anything! This was a rather rough year for me.
10. What was your favorite series this year?
In terms of TV series (all anime because that's pretty much all I watch), I really liked My Happy Marriage, Attack on Titan, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Horimiya. In terms of BL series that I've read, I really liked Lullaby of the Dawn, Given, and Breathless Momentum. Oh, and I can't forget prose--Heaven Official's Blessing.
11. What societal events or news stories shocked you this year?
All of the wars and conflicts and genocides going on in the world. It's devastating.
12. What are you hoping for less of this coming year?
I would like less anxiety. There were times where it was really, really bad this year.
13. What are you hoping for more of this coming year?
I would like more good news on the writing front. And I'd like more stability with my health and finances.
14. What personal goals did you achieve in 2023?
Getting Son of the Siren edited and going on sub and then the shiny new secret thing I can't talk about yet.
15. What is your favorite YouTube Content Creator in the last year?
I have several BookTubers I enjoy but the standout this year is Elliot Brooks because of her frequent content but also because she's given me a few good ideas for this blog!
16. What are you/did you do for New Year's Eve?
For New Year's Eve this year I plan on spending it quietly at home. When I was younger I used to go out and do things, but now I don't really care.
17. What was your most memorable New Year's moment?
When I went to Sumiyoshi Shrine in Hakata and one of the shrine maidens danced for me. I also got one of those arrows with a boar design on it, my zodiac animal.
18. Where is your dream city/place to celebrate New Year's?
New Year's in Japan can't be beat. The first three days of the year are like one big giant festival at all the shrines. It's such a happy, optimistic time.
19. Do you celebrate New Year's with a kiss?
I used to.
20. In 2024, what are your goals?
I want to finish The Name and the Key, complete a good chunk of The Step and the Walk, and then plot out the third (untitled) book in the trilogy.
21. Where do you want to travel in 2024?
I want to go back to Columbus for another anime convention. They're already announcing the guests for Animate 2024 and they're awesome. But cons are so expensive though!
22. What film are you most excited for in 2024?
I have no idea what's coming out in 2024. On TV, I'd like to see Invincible continue and if Loki is getting another season in 2024, I'll be anxious to watch that.
23. What do you think YouTube will be like this year?
I think I'll continue to see more authors behaving badly/publishers behaving badly posts and more "TikTok" hype/"was it worthy of the hype?" posts.
24. What do you think 2024 is the year of?
It's the Year of the Dragon!
25. What are your New Year’s resolutions?
I want to try to lose weight. I've always had trouble with this and I know it's a common resolution for many people, but I've really let myself go since coming back to the States.
26. How are you going to motivate yourself to stick to your goals this year?
I honestly don't know. I would probably reward myself with something like BL but I emotionally purchase BL anyway, and I need to slow down with that. I'll have to think on this. Maybe imagine the end results? I don't know.
27. What are your dream scenarios for 2024?
Have The Name and the Key finished, the trilogy plotted, and The Step and the Walk at least started.
28. In 2024, what new things do you want to try?
There really isn't anything new I want to try. I need to do stuff that I used to do all over again, like walking and watching my calorie intake. I also want to continue doing things I'm already doing that bring me joy, like reading books and manga and watching anime.
29. What are you going to stop doing in 2024?
This is hard because I've been having issues with it for so long, but I'd like to stop having severe anxiety.
30. Three words to describe your upcoming 2024?
Hopes, fears, and dreams.